Image Map

04 June, 2011

Photography Class

For my Dad's birthday we bought him a Groupon for a four hour photography class.  Shortly after, Eric agreed I could take the class with my dad. I knew it would be more fun for us to take the class together so we could practice and discuss after.

The class focused on how to use a DSLR in full manual mode, meaning setting the ISO, Aperture and Shutter speed based on the lighting.  She taught us how to use features on our camera to monitor these settings and the exposure. She also taught us how to check the white balance.  After hands on sessions for each of these concepts, we spent the last hour of class practicing shots with live models.

Once we mastered the settings for the sunny spot, she moved us all to the shade, where we had to reset our cameras and practice again.  She'd check our pictures after a few shots to check our settings.  After we were feeling comfortable with light and shade, she took our cameras and completely changed all the settings.  She sent us inside to the dimly lit studio for us to practice indoor shots and setting up our cameras from scratch.  If we passed the test then we could go home.

The day was just enough for me.  I left feeling confident, but boarder line overwhelmed.  I knew I needed to start practicing right away or else I'd forget everything I learned.

Here are a few shots from class.    Oh, by the way, she didn't want us to focus on composition as much as the exposure...so they're not super interesting.   Plus, I was using a kit lens...








Nowhere near professional, but seeing the quality of these compared to what the camera would have taken on "auto", I am pleased with myself.


The second I pulled into our apartment, I grabbed Eric and I went down to the river for a practice photoshoot at dusk.  Here's a few more practice shots....










Nowhere near professional, but seeing the quality of these compared to what the camera would have taken on "auto", I am pleased with myself.

Lots of practice to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! We'd love to hear from you!